9 hindrances to overcome in practicing the Presence of the Spirit of God
1) Indifference – towards things of eternal value. All indifferences must be changed to love.
2) Doubt – When we hesitate or willfully reject the truth. Doubt must be changed to faith.
3) Waywardness – willfully wandering away from the right course of conduct. We must be steadfast in our purpose and aim.
4) Restlessness – a too constant activity of body, mind and soul. This inner uneasiness must be changed to tranquility.
5) Impatience – an unwillingness to suffer delays and opposition. Full spiritual perception can never be attained until this weakness is changed into the strength of patience.
6) Discontent – with things that cannot be helped at the time.
7) Irresolution – a lack of determination
8) Ego - Self exaltation – we must be self-less to become God-conscious.
9) Ignorance – we are ignorant of many truths and facts. We must first gain a knowledge of God. We gain this knowledge through His Manifestations.
(Doa On the Wings of Prayer by Ruth Moffett)
It is a goal to remove all of these..
I always long for this state described by Baha’u’llah in the Seven Valleys p.22
"A servant is drawn unto Me in prayer until I
him; and when I have answered him, I become the ear wherewith he heareth…”