Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 4th in Baha'i History

1910 - The Passing of Mulla 'Ali-Akbar (Haji Akhund)Hand of the Cause, Apostle of Baha’u’llah

Haji Mulla 'Ali-Akbar-i-Shahmirzadi, who is known as Haji Akhund, was born in Shahmirzad in about 1842. He was the son of a mulla of that village and after some preliminary studies in his own village, he proceeded to Mashhad to attend the religious colleges there. In Mashhad he pursued every avenue of religious enquiry until eventually, in about 1861, he encountered the Bábís and was converted. When news of his conversion spread, the religious students rose against him and forced him to leave the town. He returned to Shahmirzad but was eventually forced to leave there as well. He settled in Tihran. There, he became so well known as a Bahá'í that 'Abdu'l-Bahá relates that whenever there was an outburst against the Bahá'ís, he would wrap his 'aba around himself and sit waiting for the guards to come and arrest him. (Memorials of the Faithful, p. 11) He was arrested many times and is known to have been imprisoned on at least the following occasions: in 1868 on the orders of Mulla 'Ali Kani; in 1872 for seven months by Nayibu's-Saltanih; in 1882 for two years by Nayibu's-Saltanih, together with many other Tihran Bahá'ís; in about 1887; and in 1891 when he was imprisoned for two years with Haji Amin.
He visited 'Akká on three occasions, in about 1873, 1888 and 1899. He was entrusted with many important tasks, in particular the custodianship and transfer of the remains of the Báb. He was appointed by Bahá'u'lláh as one of the Hands of the Cause of God and was responsible for much of the teaching work, as well as for administering the community of the Bahá'ís of Iran. He died in Tihran on 4 March 1910.

(Emminent Baha’i’s in the Time of Bha’u’llah, by Balyuzi p.266)

1929 - Resolution of the Council of the League of Nations upholding the claim of the Bahá’í community to the House of Bahá’u’lláh in Baghdad

The Council of the League, on its part, having considered this report as well as the joint observations and conclusions of the Commission, unanimously adopted, on March 4, 1929, a resolution, subsequently translated and published in the newspapers of Baghdad, directing the Mandatory Power "to make representations to the Government of Iraq with a view to the immediate redress of the injustice suffered by the Petitioners." It instructed, accordingly, the Secretary General to bring to the notice of the Mandatory Power, as well as to the petitioners concerned, the conclusions arrived at by the Commission, an instruction which was duly transmitted by the British Government through its High Commissioner to the Iraq Government.

(Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, p. 358)

No comments: